Tuesday 15 May 2012

The Beginning


So I've decided to start a blog. I don't know how this is going to turn out.. I'm no writer, last time I ever wrote in detail about myself was in my diary at 12, which was mainly adventures of me and my first hamster. I think those adventures killed him. I have 4 others in the back yard who will probably agree with me. Anyway, I'll probably treat this like a diary, following my life, my health with Cystic Fibrosis and thoughts. So this will be something different! I hope it's not boring and people will enjoy reading the absolute crap I have to write. Here goes nothing...

So basically a bit of background. It's only the last 3 years I've become open about my CF. In school I only had a few friends and teachers who knew I had it, and a couple of best friends who were supportive. I wont go into detail, there's no point dwelling on the past. Once I was in college my health declined rapidly to a point where I couldn't pass it off as Asthma anymore. I started needing Oxygen and my daily pill intake was upped to 47 tablets per day and I would collapse taking 12 steps to the next floor. To my surprise everyone in College was so supportive when I told them, and I didn't have to hide that part of my life any more. They told me not to hide who I was as it was a part of me. I was the happiest I'd ever been in my life and still am to this day. These people changed my life and a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders.      
        Hiding my CF was like having a third leg and spending my whole life covering it up because other people didn't like it. I was stressed and unhappy. So now I have started raising awareness for a cure. For all my friends with CF to breathe easier, deeper and longer.

3 comments:

  1. So far.....loving the blog mrs, esp the hamster adventures lol. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Particularly loved the bit about comparing CF to a third leg! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. lauren... you are amazing....
    skye

    ReplyDelete